PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Thursday, July 1, 2010

Featured Artist: Danita

This week's Featured Artist from Sharing Stitches is Danita.

Danita is a self-taught mixed-media artist who makes Original Paintings, Collages, Mixed Media Creations, as well as Original Art Dolls, Soft Sculpture Plush Dolls, ACEO Cards, Giclee Prints and Fiber Art. 
I have been a fan of Danita for years. She has FANTASTIC rendentions of one of favorite all time artists, Frida Kahlo.  It seems like there is no medium that Danita cannot conquer.  Her style is so unique and I love going over to her Etsy shop to see what brilliant things she has created every week.
She has also been published in almost 15 magazines to date. Whew!  She is one super talented lady!

Below is an interview with her:


What inspires you?
 Beauty and the absence of it. I live in a city with many problems and I use art as a way to scape from all of that. Some days there are so many bad news that I just want to create something beautiful for a change and when I'm creating I forget about everything.


Tell us about your art. What kind of style do you consider it and what are your favorite mediums to work with?
 I think I illustrate my thoughts in mixed media. I love working with paper and acrylics and gouaches adding touches of pencil and pastels. It's difficult to chose just one medium to work with because it all depends on the mood I want to give to the final piece. I also m
ake dolls, jewelry and fiber art. All of them I enjoy very much so picking just one would be very difficult.



 How do you define "artistic success"?
For me artistic success is when I create something from my heart and people responds to that in a positive way.


 Did you enjoy art as a child?
 Yes! I've always enjoyed drawing and painting and I remember that I used to make miniature figures with modeling clay and followed a TV show that taught how to make stuff.
When did you learn how to sew?
I'm still learning!



 Is there a part of the day that you enjoy creating the most?
At night, when I have nothing else to do or anybody calling for my attention. Tell us how a typical creative day may go for you. I usually check my mail and facebook in the morning after dropping my daughter at school. I have to pick her up early so I only have about 3 hours to work and I usually spend them listing, answering questions, taking pics or anything that can be interrupted with no trouble. In the afternoon I usually do my mom chores and after I put my daughter to bed then my creative work really starts. I usually work from 8 pm to 12 or 1 am. I choose what I'll be doing and prepare my materials, put some music and start working. I usually work nonstop until my husband starts nagging that it's too late and then I wake up from my creative slumber and go to bed. Next day, repeat and rinse.




Blog: http://danitaart.blogspot.com/
 
Shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/danitashop
 
 flickr:  www.flickr.com/ photos/danitaart
 
 facebook: danita art
 
Thanks Danita!  You rock!

3 comments:

feather said...

oh, how i love this artist. i'm in love with this style of little girl artistry. i love the wooden girls, but then the paintings and such are just as wonderful.

lori vliegen said...

there's such a wonderful sweetness about danita's artwork.....just as there is about danita herself!! :)))

Unknown said...

Thanks for featuring Danita She is just amazing!!